Metal-Free Dental Crowns – Fairfax, VA
Repairing The Function and Appearance of Damaged Teeth
Did you hear that you needed a dental crown in Fairfax to restore your oral health and immediately panic? These restorations are incredibly common, and many people get them to preserve their natural smiles and restore the appearance and function of damaged teeth. Fortunately, when you visit Fairfax Dental Esthetics for your crown, you won’t have to worry about people being able to notice it because we use high-quality and natural-looking materials to make them. We also use the latest dental technology to make CEREC same-day porcelain crowns that are beautiful and durable. If you’d like to learn how you can restore your smile without sacrificing the appearance of it, schedule a consultation today to discuss metal-free dental crowns in Fairfax, VA.
What are Metal-Free Crowns?
The Benefits of Metal-Free Dental Crowns
In the past, getting a dental crown meant having one made from metal. Not only are these less aesthetically pleasing, but they are also known to be less gentle and safe for patients’ oral tissues and health. Here are a few reasons why patients prefer metal-free restorations over traditional dental crowns:
- Strength & Lifespan: Ceramic and porcelain are incredibly strong and biocompatible materials that have the ability to last for over a decade with the proper maintenance. Metal restorations often experience leakage over years of use because they aren’t biocompatible. This can also increase your risk of developing an infection.
- Natural Appearance: Porcelain and ceramic can be customized to match the shade of your natural teeth to blend in with the rest of your mouth.
- Mercury-Free: Metal crowns contain mercury, which many patients are concerned about despite the American Academy of Dentistry stating that the levels of mercury in them is considered safe.
- Low Infection Risk: Since metal-free fillings are biocompatible, they’re able to fuse with your tooth enamel for a stronger seal and bond, preventing harmful oral bacteria from accessing the vulnerable inner-portion of your tooth.
- Safe & Effective During Pregnancy: Metal restorations that contain mercury have been suspected to increase the risk of fetal brain damage. Ceramic and porcelain are a perfectly safe alternative during pregnancy.
The Process of Getting a Metal-Free Crown
At Fairfax Dental Esthetics, we use the latest dental technology to cut the process of getting a dental crown in half without sacrificing the quality of your restoration. After preparing your tooth and taking impressions and measurements of the area, we’ll use our CEREC software to custom craft your crown with our in-office milling machine. It will be loaded with a block of dental porcelain to carve your restoration. Within 15 minutes, your crown will be made, and we’ll be ready to permanently place it on your prepared tooth. After double-checking to ensure that it fits perfectly, we’ll cement it, polish it, and send you on your way!